Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A few weeks ago I posted a survey that I asked people from my FB friends list to take part in. The purpose of the survey was to see what type of business climate there is as far as being a computer consultant goes.

It was an idea that was in the back of my mind and from a phone conversation I had with someone there.  And at the same time one of my LinkedIn connections told me that they saw a lot of computer consultants come and go and after 10 years of poor economy there they cannot wait to leave.  They lost over 50% of their business with the down turn.

Would it be feasible to open up my own business in the Keys?  I don't know.  I need more direct information about the area.

Next there were some general questions about living there, floods, invasive species like pythons and what have you. I don't want to move into a bad situation that I cannot get out of either.


So far not one person has responded. No one. It is very disappointing. I was hoping for some up front
honest answers from a few people. Now I have to continue using prepared data that I find on the net which could be highly massaged and not give accurate information.

Maybe people don't want to be identified even by emailing me?  I am thinking of using say Survey Central to run it again.  Something to think about.


Seeing how I have not had one interview since I was replaced by a 26year old snot nosed, back stabbing, brown nosing, two faced punk with no experience in network engineering 6 months ago, plus getting jerked around by those few employment agencies that would take the time to speak to me (I can count the number on one hand), I figured I would dig deep and go to school for computer programming. I hope that I would be more marketable.

Years ago I studied FORTRAN, ASSEMBLER, COBOL and of course BASIC in high school.  I never used them for these were really brief classes of about 4 weeks per language and please do not ask me to write any code from any of them.  It has been that long.


So tonight I start class at a local university for part 1 which will last a semester. The whole thing can take several years to complete. But I have to start some where.  I had to dig deep into my cash reserves to attend this class also.


This way I might land a job as a developer. And good thing I can do it remotely since the language is JAVA and I already have a compiler. It could open a new door for me or at least make me more marketable.  But since this in New York and age discrimination is well practiced and condoned by the state I might just be wasting my time and money.


In the meantime if a business in the Keys makes me an offer, I would drop everything run and rent a U-Haul, stuff it with everything that we own, hook up the car and in two days of driving (I can make it in about 24 non-stop but that would not be wise) I'd be fighting the traffic through the construction on Roosevelt Blvd. to live where I dream of living.  Not a problem there.

Seeing how some people there have complained about the delays along that road, they should come up here and deal with the Long Island Expressway during rush hour.  The world's longest parking lot.  And people wonder why I want off Long Island?

In my last post I included a photo from one of my FB friends that he took during the storm.  Naturally I gave him full photo credits.  He was thankful that I did the right thing.  It was a great shot of some minor flooding along Duval.

Time to start to get my things together for my first night of class.

'till next time.












No comments:

Post a Comment