Thursday, May 31, 2012

One of the happiest, yet sadest days

This week our daughter earned her Masters Degree. It was a long haul as anyone who has earned one can tell you. I am beyond estatic over it.

It is also a very sad time for me as well.

Although she still lives at home, this marks the end. At least to me. Now my little girl is all grown up.

Gone are the days of watching her play with her fashion dolls, gone are the days I'd wait to put her on the school bus or take her off, gone are the days she would cuddle up next to me and fall asleep on my lap, gone are the days when I would scoop her up and put her to bed. Granted I have not done that in years, but now to me it makes it official. She is not my baby anymore but a grown woman ready to go out and concure the world.

There is a special relationship that exists between father and daughter. One that simple is not there with a son. It is different. If you are a dad with a daughter you know exactly what I am talking about.

Time has made her grow up in front of my eyes. It seems like only yesterday I was walking along with her at my side and her little hand held onto one finger of my hand and those little legs moving to keep up. Yes only yesterday. Today I watched her as she went up on stage wearing the black gown and the colorful hood signifying that she earned a Masters Degree.

It will not be long now before she gets married and leaves the house.

I knew this day would come. We all did. But I am not ready for it. I still see that little girl with pig tails all hippity bipity skipping along into my arms to spend some daddy daughter time. But now, it is gone forever.

'till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment