Monday, September 10, 2012

This is my last week of unemployment. The state has been very tight lipped about extended benefits so I don't know if I will get it or not. It sucks being on unemployment.

I've been paying close attention to the job ads, a lot of them are repeats. I've applied to many several times and not one call back. Very frustrating.

Even the head hunters and recruiting agencies like TekSystems have been a total waste o my time. So why bother sending an of them my resume? I am not even going to connect to anymore recruiters on LinkedIn either. Going back to the ads, I would say that 95% of them have been placed by recruiters.

A freind of mine who was fired from the same company that I was in for being over 45 as well is taking up marketing at night. She is going to a local university here for it. Maybe have her market me?

She is a great person. We hit it off the first few days when she started with the firm. We have been good freinds since. Nothing romantic, just good friends. My wife even knows about her and he knows about my wife.

We used to go to lunch a lot when we worked together. I always bought. I was raised to be a gentlmen. A bit old fashioned.

I learned that the company terminated 20 people on Thursday.  With the first seven that make close to 25% of the workforce gone.  I think they are going to be gone in about a year from now.  One of the people that wrote to me that was in that group even admitted that the firm is playing age discrimination games.  They want only the 20 year old set to run the business.

Speaking of layoffs.  I also learned that one of the people at the Hicksville DoL that ran a focus group was let go.  These groups did nothing but to try and build your confidence and try and make things look rosy.  They never helped.  I am sorry to here that he was let go, but now he knows first hand what it is like.  Then again I am sure with his connections through the state he will be working again in no time.  They take care of their own.

Finally we have a break from the oppressive humidty that Long Island is famous for. It was actually cold at night. A relief from the humidity but a sign that snow is on it's way. I hate snow.

I am still hoping for a job in the Keys before the snow falls. I keeping my fingers and toes crossed that someone will pick up my resume, give me a call, make me an offer. I would be out of New York so fast. By pushing it, I should be able to drive to the Keys in 24 hours non-stop. But that is pushing the limits.

'till next time

No comments:

Post a Comment