Friday, September 21, 2012

I woke up this morning to the high pitched sound of a leaf blower from a landscaper across the street from our house.  It brought a shudder to my body.

Not so much for the sound even as annoying as it is but for what it represents to me.  Summer is over, or at least all most and to be followed by fall.  And fall is going to be followed by winter and with that the bitter cold, the chill that fills the body, wetness, heavy coats and gloves, high heating costs and they will be high this year and of course the dreaded curse of snow and ice.


And tomorrow is the first day of fall. The starting signal for what lies ahead.

Manhasset Bay in the winter


As those who have read this blog know, I hate snow in the worst way.  I hope never to see it again except in a photo or a drawing.  One of the reasons as to why I want to move to the Keys.  There is no snow.

I would rather deal with the threat of hurricanes than the bitter winds that blow through the walls of this old building in the winter.  This building is so old, it is not cost effective to insulate it.  For when you take down the plaster lath walls, you will need to replace the old rubber and fabric covered wires as well.  Just by nudging the wires the rubber cracks exposing the copper underneath.  And like a sleeping bear, it is best to leave well enough alone.

At the end of the day if we do insulate and re-wire it would be cheaper just to keep dumping oil into the tank.  Which I hope will end if my prayers are answered.

Over the weekend I was looking at the webcams on Duval Street.  And I saw nothing but hog heaven!  Motorcycles everywhere.




 
From the webcam outside of Sloppy Joe's
From the roof on top of Sloppy Joe's.  Someone should clean the lens.

Nice handle bar grip he is grabbing

One thing is for sure, it must have been loud there.  The Sturgis of the eastern seaboard.

Looking at the webpage Mile Zero, it turns out that this was a poker run. A bunch of bikers ride into town, play a few hands of poker and then leave. In many areas it is illegal to play poker for money. But in something like this everyone turns a blind eye to it. No one is getting hurt, except the person who loses and that depends on how much. Plus it does bring money into the businesses from sales.

There was one here a few years back. But they were just passing through. They stopped, set up a few tables, played a hand or two and were on their way. No problems like the TV wants you to believe. Just a few people touring the area and stopping here and there for a freindly hand of cards.

I don't know if I mentioned it or not but 20 more people from my former company were terminated.  Not a good sign.  I heard that everyone there that is left is worried who will be next.  One of them asked me to re-do his resume just in case.

Anyway, the weekend approaches and so does fall.  Back to sending our more resumes.

'till next time.

Map

No comments:

Post a Comment