Sunday, March 13, 2011

3/13/11 - Looking at Key West

I have been doing some serious thinking about moving to Key West for the past month or so. I am tired of snow and cold. Plus life on Long Island stinks. High taxes, poorly maintained roads, over priced homes and more.

I started looking at Key West and found that there are some very affordable homes there with very low taxes. Of course when you go on the real estate sights you see places at over a million. A lot of them. Guess it is like New York, the higher the house price the larger to commission so why push the house under 300,000 in the first place?

Looking at some of the photos these affordable house look small and with no yards. Going to Google Earth and finding these places I saw that they are small and no yards at all. A lot of the houses are on top of each other. So to get a better look I used Street View and was shocked at what I saw. No yards, houses practically touching each other and in some areas the place is very run down.

Have to wonder if it is that way all over the island. I did look around the cemetery area where they are in a low flood area all the way to where the topo map has the ground elevation at 10' above sea level. Even a few small business sections looked pretty beat up. Nothing like what you see on Duval Street. Then again Duval Street is a tourist area.

Looking for work there is frustrating. No jobs except in the hospitality sector and there are not many of those. I am certain that they do not pay very well either. Probably no more that $15 per hour. Chump change considering that level of employment that I am at. It does not appear to be any jobs there for a CTO. But I am still going to try.

From what I have seen so far, Key West might not be a true paradise. But it sure looks better than here. I just have to keep looking and doing my research to see how feasible it would be to pack up and leave.

'till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment