Thursday, April 19, 2012

Last night I was up until 1AM sending out resumes to more local companies but I am not too confident that any thing will materialize at this point. Job in the information technology sector here on Long Island have been seriously devastated and there are few jobs still left. A lot of this is due to several factors like a lot of jobs have been outsourced and offshored, companies are cutting back on staff to maximize their profitability at the sacrifice of peoples jobs, companies are leaving Long Island due to economic reasons namely the ultra high cost of doing business here. Plus add in the fact that age discrimination is at epidemic proportions on Long Island and the state is not doing anything about it.

So this has created a glut of unemployed I.T. workers which means that competition for the few jobs that do show up is brutal at best.  And those few are going to the under 40 set.

Then there are a lot of developer or what used to be called programmer jobs around.  And those too are going to the under 40 set as well.  Programming is not for everyone for you need what I term is the right 'head' to do it.  Years past it was a lot easier for languages were procedural and for the most part easier to understand, at least for me.  Today it is a whole new ball game using object orientated programming language.  Are these better than the older languages?  I guess so but for me they are harder to grasp.

But to become more marketable I really have no choice but to start learning these new languages all over again from scratch starting with JAVA even though I have not used any programming language in many years..

Today is more of the same, researching companies and sending resumes to.  Later on I am going to start JAVA - yuk.  And maybe shortly after that I am going to start to learn In-Design.  looking at the program it does not look that much different from Photoshop.  Then later tonight I want to work on my LinkedIn profile and tweak it up a bit.

Right now at 2:30  in the afternoon it is 65 degrees in East Egg with a slight wind out of the SE and the sky is partly overcast.  By the cam at the Hog's Breath Saloon it is a fantastic 81.  Looking at the sky by Mallory Square it is partly cloudy, but not too bad.  I see that there are tent up there and by going to the remote control cam by PhotoStream it looks like some sort of a trade show.  I wanted to get a better look but someone grabbed control of the camera and I couldn't get it back.  Seems to happen a lot with those cams.

'till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment