Monday, April 9, 2012

Today makes it one month since I was terminated from my job.  One month with no paycheck, one month with no health coverage, one month with the feeling of uselessness.  Years gone by it was easy to land a new job, but not any more.  With the economy tanking and adding age into the mix things do not look rosy.

Companies here are hiring kids right out of college for the work for peanuts and do not require the same benefits.  Plus if one of them does not come in one day, they are replaced.  But the companies fail to realize that with age comes experience, temperament, common sense which is something today's kids lack, and the ability to see the big picture.  So people in my age bracket have a rough go at finding work.  Washington is doing nothing to put an end to age discrimination.

But one cannot give up hope.  I'm sending out more resumes like always and keeping my fingers crossed.  I reached out to everyone that was on my contact list from the job wished them a happy holiday and included a copy of my resume.  Never know if one of those will hit.  But in a way I doubt that it will.

I also figured that I am going to target the companies competition.  Dirty pool?  Yes but I am not under any agreement not to go to the competition.

Last night it was blowing hard, like as if there was a storm.  Kept us up most of the night.  Even this morning it is blowing.  Sounds like winter is back.

Glen Cove is installing cameras all over the business district so the police can watch over things.  Big brother is expanding.  The village of Sands Point has them in place recording who drives in and out of the area.  The wealthy do not like the poor people driving through the area yet there is a scenic short cut going into Manorhaven that a lot of locals use.  Soon the wealthy might put a stop to that.

Drive to Key West from the Eggs?  Doable?  Yes, take 95 down to US 1 then to paradise.  A long drive?  Heck yes, two to three days depending on traffic and how we fell during the trip.  Am I up for it?  No question about it but my wife refuses to go, at least for right now.   I have nothing but time on my hands right now and who knows, by going there might able me to land that dream job.

Right now it is 54 and blowing outside.  Looking at the Hog's Breath webcam it is a glorious 79 and by the sky at Sunset Pier only a few clouds in an otherwise crystal clear sky.  Like always Duval Street is hopping outside of Sloppy Joe's.

Anyway this is not getting anything done.

'till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment